Saturday, December 15, 2007



Photo was taken on Long Island at the Horton Lighthouse, overlooking the Long Island Sound. The North Shore of Long Island in New York.
Hello Robins

Time for a new challenge to enjoy. :) Marie(THATS ME!), author of the blog, "Photographs and Memories Too"(THATS HERE & THERE) submitted the challenge topic, "Black and White Landscape" during our recent challenge topic round-up, and I thought it sounded like a nifty idea. With the weather changing to rain and snow throughout the country, what better way to see the beauty in those cold days, then to get out with the camera and let the creative juices flow? You might even see a beautiful, picturesque scene out a window, and capture it, so don't feel like you have to go out into the rain and snow if you don't want to. :) Perhaps you took a lovely landscape photo last summer, that works as well, although a brand new photo taken by you is always enjoyable to see.

I posted a group layout on my AOL Journal.

When I convert a color image into a black & white, I use that Channel Mixer in Photoshop.
I go to Image/Adjustments/Channel Mixer. I then Click on Monochrome & adjust the sliders.
This is the best way to convert. I like making sure there is enough contrast so it doesn't look flat.

17 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Marie :)

Where to begin! I am sitting here, trying to come up with something to say, but truly, I just don't have the words. It's entries like this that excite me about doing the challenges. This is stunning. The depth is extraordinary. Marie, it's simply lovely!

Always, Carly

Karen Funk Blocher said...

There's something about that shot that looks very striking, slightly otherworldly. And it's perfectly set off by the black background.

I don't currently have PhotoShop, of course, but I'll keep your advice in mind if I even have it again. I did my b&W in camera this time, and adjusted the levels with Autoenhance and Tone Adjustment.

Hey, have you ever taught photography formally? 'Cause I learn from you whenever I stop by here.

Anonymous said...

Nice contrast, the sky is wonderful. I convert to using LAB rather than the channel mixer. Great topic, had fun :-)

Cynthia said...

Oh wow. I love that pic! beautiful.
Where was it taken? I read the post but couldn't find the location.

Cynthia said...

Oh wow. I love that pic! beautiful.
Where was it taken? I read the post but couldn't find the location.

Cynthia said...

I love that pic! it is beautiful.

Cynthia said...

oops, sorry. I didn't see the comment moderator. I thought that blogger was just going a little cuckoo on me. I didn't mean to comment twice. ( and now it is three times)

Gattina said...

That's not right ! first you suggest black and white and then you cheat the same way as I did but with my simple HP Photosmart program, lol !

Nancy said...

First off, all your journals confuse the heck outta me! Second of all, I still think you should blow this up and frame it...and maybe sell a few.
Finally, thanks for the tips! I have no idea what you're talking about, but I'll look for it!

Nance

Sandra said...

Wonderful textures. Love the Photoshop advice, so much easier. I wonder if Photoshop Elements (a much cheaper program) would have the same feature?

Unknown said...

I would have never thought to have used Monochrome. I converted to grayscale, then went into the levels and played around to bring out certain grays and white. I will try that. Your photo is breathtaking, so alive, I'm not good at description words, I guess that why I love to photograph. I am so glad I found this blog! Nekked Lizards

Becky said...

Ooo! I like this! It's so multidimentional. I feel like I could step into it.

MyMaracas said...

Awesome! Surreal and haunting. I agree with the other commenters - wonderful photo, wonderful blog.

Vicki

Chrissea said...

Marie,
This is really really terrific!
I have enlarged my photo, per your request, but I kind of like it better smaller, for some reason.
Looking forward to playing with you all each week and meeting new people!

Unknown said...

I really like the feeling the photo conveys. You definitely know what you're doing with b&w. yours does not look flat - I guess that flatness is what keeps me from normally liking b&w.

Tammie Jean said...

Wow, Marie, this is gorgeous!!! Very stunning! And I will have to try your technique - thanks for the tip!

BosieLadie said...

Awww....love it!